The most fun I had in front of a screen this week? Cougar Town – season 4 finally hit disc, and my fiancee and I marathoned all fifteen episodes within a 24-hour period. I’d forgotten how great it was at straight-up hangout comedy – perhaps even better at it than Happy Endings..
Sunshine, a BBC mini-series starring Steve Coogan as a family man-come-gambling addict, was a pleasant surprise, too. A little too syrupy for some, I’m sure, but I was sucked in completely. Tows the comedic-dramatic line wonderfully. From the team behind The Royle Family and the chronically underrated Early Doors.
Season two of The Wrong Mans improved on season one, compressing the latest story in the comedy-thriller hybrid series down to two one-hour episodes (from six 30-minute entries in S1). Corden and Baynton continue to make a great team, and the story was less meandering this go-round, making for a neat blend of genuine tension and comedic banter.
A re-watch of The IT Crowd series one proved fun. I think it was my third viewing; IIRC, I found the second and third runs even stronger. We’ll probably re-watch those soon.
ITV horror anthology Chiller proved decidedly un-chilling, though episode 2, “Toby”, at least proved intriguing. The Leaders Debate was insubstantial but interesting, and is hard to rate on any scale, really! Louis Theroux: Transgender Kids was a thoughtful, contemplative piece of documentary filmmaking, well up to Louis’ usual standards. And this week’s Mom ventured back into dark territory; it wasn’t the finest example of the show blending the light with the dark, but I continue to be impressed at the bravery and honest of that programme. It’s unafraid of complex subject matter in a way few other sitcoms, single- or multi-camera, are.
- Cougar Town, season 4 – 9/10 – 15 episodes, DVD, April 2-3, 2015
- Sunshine, miniseries – 9/10 – three parts, DVD, April 3-4, 2015
- The Wrong Mans, series 2 – 8/10 – two episodes, DVD, April 4, 2014
- The IT Crowd, series 1 – 8/10 – rewatch – six episodes, DVD, April 5, 2015
- Chiller, series 1 episodes 1-3 – 4/10 – DVD, April 4, 2015
- Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway, series 12 episode 7 – 7/10 – DVR, April 4, 2015
- Mr. Bean – Mind the Baby Mr Bean – 7/10 – DVD, April 4, 2015
- The ITV Leaders’ Debate – n/a – DVR, April 5, 2015
- Louis Theroux: Transgender Kids – 9/10 – DVR, April 6, 2015
- Mom, season 2 episode 18 – 7/10 – DL, April 7, 2015